Agios Sozomenos a deserted village in the Nicosia district, 3 Kms North of Potamia/Dereli and 6 Kms west of Pyroi/Gaziler.
According to Goodwin, Agios Sozomenos was named after an early Cypriot saint. Until 1964, the village was mixed, inhabited by Greek and Turkish Cypriots. In 1958, Turkish Cypriots adopted the alternative name Arpalık, meaning “place of barley.”

In the video we see the 16th-century Gothic church of Agios Mamas!

The village was always a mixed village. In the Ottoman census of 1831, the Muslim (Turkish Cypriots) population was slightly more than the Greek Cypriots (50.7%). In 1891 the Turkish Cypriot proportion increased to 69%. Throughout the British period, while the Turkish Cypriot population of the village showed a steady increase, the number of Greek Cypriots gradually decreased.

Click on image to view the video.

https://youtu.be/v=1UmCzOnFWrM

Timber by EMSIEN 3 Ltd BG